CLA Battle Decks 2012: Innovate …. Or else
Posted by CLA Govt Library and Info Mgmt Professionals Network on 2012/05/26
Saturday, June 2, 2012, 8:30 am
Ottawa Convention Centre, Room 206
Battle Decks represent the ultimate challenge for a public speaker as they are challenged to give a coherent presentation based on hand-selected, seemingly unrelated slides that they see for the very first time live on stage.
This competition, often referred to as “PowerPoint Karaoke,” will see six brave and willing participants compete for the glory of becoming CLA’s first Battle Decks champion.
The theme will be “Innovate …. Or else” as participants face judgment from a panel of judges, with the winner to be determined based on a variety of criteria and general overall awesomeness.
Hilarity, along with some learning, is guaranteed for all!
- Each contestant will present on the topic of “Innovate …. Or else”;
- Slide decks each have 12 slides and will be assigned at random;
- Each contestant has 7 minutes to complete their presentation;
- Judges will score each presentation on 5 criteria (scale of 1-5 ) and assign a final score out of 25;
- Scores will be combined to determine the winner – the competitor closest to 100 wins fame and glory; and
- In the event of a tie, we will use the audience applause-o-meter to determine winners.
- Claire Banton
Reference Librarian, Government of Canada
- Megan Fitzgibbons
Liaison Librarian, McGill University
- Beth Goslett
Supervising Librarian, Ottawa Public Library
- Robyn Stockand
Independent Practicer of Curiosity
- Christine Langlois
Trustee, Ottawa Public Library Board
- Melanie Sellar
Education Services & Reference Librarian, Marymount College; and
Co-Executive Director, Librarians Without Borders
- Stephen Abram
Vice-President, Gale Cengage
- Chantal de Medeiros
MLIS Student, Dalhousie University
- Iona Henderson
Web Coordinator, Finance Canada; and
Moderator, CLA Ottawa Network
- Pam Ryan
Director, Library Services, Edmonton Public Library